Tuesday, August 26, 2014

YAV Orientation

When I first arrived at Young Adult Volunteer orientation, I wasn’t sure what I had gotten myself into.  Surrounded by “cradle Presbyterians” (Presbyterians since birth) who all seemed to have gone to Montreat conference center every year, wear Chacos (outdoorsy sandals), and be comfortable speaking openly about their faith, I felt out of place. 

I have always been private about my Christian faith, as I do not want to alienate others who may be of others faiths, not follow any religious traditions, or have negative impressions of Christianity.  Personally, I have avoided fully committing myself to a religious community because of the connotations and shameful history of ethnocentrism, prejudice, and violence.  Still, I have consistently come back to the church, asked questions about the Divine, and been surprised by my welcoming church community.  This summer, my beloved grandmother passed away.  As I sat by her side during her last days, the only things that woke her up from her pain and drug induced delirium were words of faith.  Although she was too dehydrated to speak, her eyes would enlarge when I read her favorite Bible verses out loud.  During her final months battling cancer, I believe she was not afraid because of her unwavering faith in Jesus Christ.

Although, my grandmother and I differ on many theological interpretations, I deeply admire her commitment to a spiritual practice, loving others, and doing good works.  Her faith inspired me to develop my personal connection with the Divine.

Sometimes when I admit to people, especially in San Francisco, that I am Christian or that I go to church or that I’ve chosen to work for a Christian organization for a year, I clench my teeth and think, “Please don’t hate me.  Please don’t judge me.  I don’t hate you. I don’t judge you.  It’s not think what you think it is.”  Maybe I am too sensitive to other people’s opinions.  Maybe I am imagining more judgment than is actually present. 

Even so, I was overjoyed when I actually got to know the other Young Adult Volunteers (YAVs).  Although we come from all over the country and world, we seem to share a desire to create change, advocate for the voiceless, and partner with marginalized communities.  YAVs come from a variety of backgrounds and life experiences.  Some have just graduated college, like me.  Some have just graduated high school and some are working on their masters.  This makes for a beautiful collage of perspectives.

The tenants that bring us together are a desire to:

    1.  Be keenly aware of our privilege, power, and backgrounds so that we may be more self-aware, respectful, and responsible at our work sites.

          2. Work with the people we meet, acknowledging that the locals are experts on what needs to be done in their community, whether or not they have had any formal education or are perceived to have societal status.

          3. Live simply and in solidarity with the individuals we serve.

          4.  Explore the live Jesus has called us to live, especially pertaining to social justice issues.


We had our orientation at Stony Point, a Presbyterian conference center which is also home to an interfaith community.

My favorite sunflowers!


View from one of Stony Point's gardens
Evening candlelit worship


These posts are a reflection of Grace Dover’s current thoughts on simple living, spirituality, and service.  They do not represent the Presbyterian Church (USA), Young Adult Volunteers, BorderLinks, or any other organization or individual other than Grace Dover.

3 comments:

  1. Grace i love this. i love the journey you're on. i, too have struggled with the sensitivity/judgement thing. as you wrestle with that, i will encourage you to grab hold of the authority that God has most certainly bestowed upon you.

    -peter allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace. Thanks for sharing your thoughtful reflection. I pray that the YAV year will allow you to continue in your journey of understanding your relationship with God and church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Grace to sharing about your searching and questions... Glad to be on the journey with you!
    Richard

    ReplyDelete